Friday, December 14, 2007

My First

Welcome to my brand new first blog.

I've jumped on the blogging bandwagon in hopes of sparking a new writing fire inside of me.

Just like how students don't seem to enjoy leisurely reading when there are stacks and stacks of reading assignments from school, I've found that leisurely writing for me has suffered on the same note given that I write business articles and features for a living. This will hopefully mark the beginning of the end of that.
*****

So, to begin my first official blog post, aside from the welcome note, I'll begin with my first official pinkberry tasting:


Caption: Sorry for the stock photo - I recognize the crucial role of freshly taken photos to blog posts, but unfortunately, I don't have my camera on hand.

My office is just around the corner from a pinkberry in Chelsea and for months, Wendy, Julie and I have been saying, "We should go to pinkberry!" Well, today, after splurging on an actual sit-down lunch at Spice (as opposed to take-out and eating at our desks), we finally followed through.

Wendy commented on how odd it was that they had a big step to get into the shop and how maybe that was the reason we had put it off for so long. Once inside, we didn't smell creamy yogurt or fresh fruit - instead, it smelt of old mops and "dirty dishes," as Julie noted.

Nonetheless, it looked bright and clean and as Wendy and I reviewed the process of ordering, the pinkberry employee came out from the back room in his pinkberry apron and very unenthusiastically said, "Welcome to pinkberry."

We sampled the original and I was delighted at just how much it really tasted like yogurt.* Wendy opted not to order, though she said she liked it.

I ordered my small original with blueberries and pomegranates and proceeded to find out that neither Wendy nor Julie had ever eaten fresh pomegranate before! The small was pretty big, but I guess it should be given that it was a $4.22 treat (a rather large chunk of change in my book).

Long story short (kind of), pinkberry was more than I thought it would be and for those Tasty Delight-lovers, a good alternative that doesn't bubble once it hits a paper plate. They also have shaved ice! On a sidenote, whilst in Seattle over Thanksgiving, I noticed a "crazyberry" on Capitol Hill. I'll be trying this out come my Christmas visit - note the strategically different placing of the leaves on the logo.



*Apparently, according to the Calif. Department of Ag., pinkberry's product cannot claim itself as real frozen yogurt because of it's 9,000,031,000 fewer bacterial cultures per gram than the National Yogurt Association's criteria for live and active culture yogurt, which is 10 million cultures per gram for frozen yogurt. I wonder if that's the case with crazyberry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A delectable first adventure, Peanut Butter and Jelly Jam! I look forward to more tasty encounters with New York's culinary finest!

Jennifer Sung said...

heyyyyyyyyy this looks familiar.....are pinkberry and jubilee sisters?